Monday, October 5, 2009

Baby Signing.


I'm considering using signs with Carter, more so for me, because I just don't want to deal with the frustration of guessing too often at his age. I'm also at a loss as to keeping him occupied, with the house under construction and no toys around he's getting very bored. I looked into it with my last two kids, but I always just knew what they were saying, so never bothered. One thing I've noticed in the past couple of days is how attentive he is when I sign. Has anyone tried signing? How helpful was it?

Here's a chart with some of the basic signs. I found another great site with the first 100 signs which demonstrates the movements. first 100 signs


4 comments:

Elizabeth a.k.a. Type A Mommy said...

I sign with my little guy, who's 20 months old now. I started when he was about 10 or 11 months old, and it is immensely helpful sometimes. He can sign probably about 15 words at this point, and when he gets frustrated and has a hard time telling me what's going on, he's can sign what he's wanting or needing, which is super helpful. I'd be happy to tell you more, if you want - shoot me an email. It's typeamommyblog(at)gmail(dot)com. :)

Jill said...

Hi! I've bought Signing Time dvds for my kids and have loved it! I have 2 nephews that are partially deaf, thinking this would be beneficial in the future (but they're not even learning ASL- they just have hearing aides). Anyway, it's so nice to communicate at church or any place you want to not cause a scene (be quiet- lol). You can order them at www.signingtime.com or even check it out on YouTube.
This Friday, I'm going to be the "Show & Tell" for my daughter's kindergarten class and teach them about 10 useful signs.
Good luck!

EcoMeg said...

I signed with my first and I think it really helped us understand each other better at a very early age. He started watching the videos when he was maybe 6 mos old. I heartily recommend it. We used the Signing Time DVDs. Loved them.

Mach Momma said...

I luva luva luva Signing Time. My 3 year old knows how to sign nearly every animal. I like to watch them with her and my 21 month old. Worth the money or your local library may have them. They used to be on PBS stations