Friday, September 4, 2009

Food & Coupons

After my 7th little ankle biter (rugrat), I felt tired, washed out and totally lacking energy, if I can even remember what that word means. I used to be a vegetarian from my teens for 9 years, and did a lot of raw foods then, enjoyed Leslie Keatons books and inspiration. I go back to it from time to time, but these days it's hard to do 2 different menus for me and 'them'. My crew enjoy the typical american diet, although I don't cook many typical American meals, consuming way too much junk in my opinion. So I'm always on a continual quest to integrate my diet into theirs.

I've been a mad couponer these past 7 years, but as much as I get for free, or even make an income from, we pay with our health. I've thus decided - apart from our staples, I will no longer frequent the supermarkets. I love John's Farm, a place full of produce, and specialty foods, of which there are many of here in my vicinity of Long Island. Most of this food is imported, and as much as I would like to do organic, it just isn't possible on our budget. Still, after doing raw even with the typical consumer food most of us now live on, I have noticed tremendous different, in my health and wellbeing. I have been energized once again this past summer, with some excess baby pounds I've avoided all these years, and just the physical challenge of carrying a young guy who started his life at 9 1/2 lbs, up and down stairs all day.

No comments: